Prolegomena to Any Future Historiography
of Cultures & Civilizations, 2nd Edition
History of Science, Philosophy & Culture in Indian Civilization, Vol. 8
By Daya Krishna
Munshiram Manoharlal Publishers
310 pages, Illustrated, 5 ¾" x 8 ¾"
$37.50 Paper Original
A prolonged enquiry into the problems relating to the Historiography of Civilizations which creatively uses the concepts derived from both the Indian and the western traditions to understand man's most complex and enduring creation, that is, civilization. Silpa, Sastra, Samskara, Purusartha, Svapna, Smrti and Vasana provide a key role in this understanding and a new concept of the empirical a priori is developed to provide the theoretical underpinning for their understanding.
1. Space, Time, Desire & the Transcendental Seeking of Man: The Immanent A Priori in the Understanding of Civilizations.
2. Mapping the Field: Illusions, Temptations & Possibilities.
3. Plurality of Civilizations & the Question of Identity.
4. Transformations in the Seeling of Man: Consciousness to Self-Consciousness & from Culture to Civilization.
5. History, Historiography & the Problem of Man's Indentity & Truth
6. Polity, Economy & Society: Structural Contradictions & the Dynamics of History.
Return to Coronet Books main page